A mattress manufacturer needed optimization of 52,000 stock keeping units (SKUs) across 17 manufacturing facilities to meet market demand. Due to manual handling of mattresses, they faced multiple challenges like manual production scheduling, longer lead time, and issues with product traceability, quality and ergonomics.
The Design Group team proposed organizational excellence through Lean principles.
- Facilitated optimization using Process Simulation
- Provided specifications for Advanced Planning Scheduling (APS) software, Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES), Material Tracking Systems
- Designed new automation for mattress handling
- Supported implementation of APS and MES solutions
- Implemented advanced automation including RFID tracking
- Incorporated Automated Guided Vehicles and Robotic cells
- Providing Level 1 and 2 help desk support for MES implementation
- Supporting Continuous Improvement programs through automation
- Customer order lead time reduced from 36 to 24 hours
- Revenue per square foot space increased by 34%
- Revenue per person increased by 30%
- New business accommodated within same space